In the Brave office, coffee is at the core of our day-to-day routine.
We kickstart our day with a few Chemex pour overs at 10am, as team members come and go from the kitchen to touch base on current projects or just fill each other in on plans for the upcoming weekend. Around 2pm, the barista returns to the kitchen to brew up another round of pour overs to give the team that extra push they need to get through the afternoon.
Using quality beans is the key to a solid cup of coffee: knowing where it's from, how it's roasted and how it's brewed. In an effort to support other local companies in our area, we source only the best from our friends over at Kingstate Coffee.
As our team grows and morphs, twice daily coffee brewing for the entire team may not be sustainable, but it will always be a part of our culture. It brings us together throughout the day, it helps put a little fire under us to finish a project for a client, and it allows us to support and connect with other fine Tampa-based companies.
Brave Chemex Recipe
- Fill kettle with filtered water.
- Place kettle on warming base, turn on by tapping on/off and tap hold. The temperature should be set to warm up to 205*F.
- Turn on scale, place cup on scale, tare scale, weigh out 40g of coffee into the cup, dump beans into grinder. (Grind setting for Chemex should be around 20, but every burr grinder is different; grind should be a little coarser than kosher salt).
- Place unused filter in a clean Chemex with three sides towards the spout and one side on other side of the glassware.
- Pre-wet filter with enough water to absorb all dry areas; place kettle back onto base and turn back on/hold to keep the temperature at 205*F.
- Pour water out of Chemex (don't let filter fall out).
- Place Chemex back on scale and tare.
- Turn grinder on by flipping the switch on the right side one click either way.
- Turn grinder off when beans are done grinding by flipping the switch one click either way again.
- Tap the top and side of the grinder gently to make sure all grinds are out of the ceramic burrs.
- Pull front container holding the ground coffee out and gently place into Chemex; weighing out 40g. Toss remaining coffee away and tap container clean.
- Place container back in grinder.
- Tare scale.
- ( Pause for high fives. )
- Ratio is 1:16 (40g:640g).
- Start timer and pour 100g of water in a quick, circular motion and let bloom for 45 seconds. Gently stir grounds a few times with a spoon, pour water on the spoon to clean, set aside.
- Begin to pour remaining 540g of water in a slow circular motion at 00:45. You should finish pouring at 2:30.
- Stir 4-5 times slowly with spoon.
- Let the Chemex sit and finish brewing.
- Total brewing time should be between 3 and 4 minutes.
- Fold and dispose of used filter.
- Swirl coffee in circular motion to mix.
- Announce Chemex is ready with megaphone.
- Turn off scale and kettle.
- Clean empty Chemex by swirling hot kettle water in the glassware, then emptying.
- Seal up coffee bag and clean up surrounding area.
- Savor fresh cup of coffee with those around you!